Oakley have achieved something special with their new Valve sunglasses. They’ve successfully combined the functionality of their high performance sports range with the sleeker, more fashionable lines of their lifestyle range. So we’re talking about something like the phenomenal Fast Jacket meets the stylish Hijinx.
Fast Jacket + Hijinx = Valve
The Valves sit firmly within the Oakley Active range and as such will suit people who tend towards function over form as a part of their sporting lifestyle. But there’s less need to compromise as .
We test drove the Valves running, on the beach, driving and at the pub (outside, of course). Here’s how we went.
Running (late afternoon)
The Valves sit super light and comfortable on the face. They are wraparound style and no light flares found a way into my eyes. They fit well beneath a cap (they’re super thin) as well as on their own. Running and driving into 30 degree sunlight can be blinding but the lenses performed beautifully. No need to squint.
On the Beach (midday)
We were doing a photo shoot on the beach. The Valves work well as all-round sunglasses. They slip up onto the forehead easily and hold there firmly without causing headaches. Perfect for variable conditions when you want the option of sun protection. In the bright light the performance was excellent, as you’d expect from Oakley.
Driving (daylight hours)
I love the Valves as driving sunnies. They’re lightweight, polarized and the nosebombs provide a really balanced, comfortable fit. You can listen to Tupac, hard rock or your favourite D&B without style concerns at traffic lights. These are hard working sunglasses. They’re cool but understated. They have nothing to prove.
At the Pub (all day)
Again, awesome high performance. The lenses are not completely reflective so watch out when perving, as others can see your eyes. But they feel good and will protect you from glare, splashes, etc. .
- Durability and all-day comfort of lightweight, stress-resistant O Matter® frame material
- Unobtainium® earsocks and nosebombs for added comfort and performance
- Comfort and Performance of Three-Point Fit that holds lenses in precise optical alignment
- Metal icon accents
- For medium to large faces
- Polarized – Minimized glare via technology that produces the best polarized lenses on the planet (optional)
- Optical precision and performance that meets ANSI Z87.1 standards
- Impact resistance that meets ANSI Z80.3 basic impact standards
- UV protection of Plutonite® lens material that filters out 100% of UVA / UVB / UVC & harmful blue light up to 400nm
- Glare reduction and tuned light transmission of Iridium® lens coating (optional)
- Optimized peripheral vision and side protection of 8.75 base lens curvature
- Available with Oakley prescription lenses
Cost: Starting at $150 USD
More info: www.oakley.com
Brad taking a turn in front of the lens.