1. Warm-up: Effective warm ups consist of both general and specific exercises.
2. Stretching: Stretching allows the joints (where two bones connect) to move smoothly though a full range of motion, and is essential to increase performance in the water.
3. Appropriate Training: From my experience training errors are among the most common predisposing factors in the development of sporting injuries. Normally this occurs when a surfer who has a complex injury history commences a general exercise program designed for the relatively healthy majority of surfers.
4. Rest and sleep: Seems obvious but adequate rest and sleep are essential if a surfer is to cope with lots of water time and remain injury free.
5. Good nutrition: Nutrition aids recovery from surfing by replenishing glycogen stores and by providing necessary protein and water.
I look forward to seeing you on the mat, or in the water!